Sorry for the click-bait title. It’s intended to draw people who don’t normally read Source Gaming. So if it worked, welcome! If you regularly read the blog then this article probably isn’t meant for you.
I really thought I didn’t have to write this post, as I thought after the last Ridley escapade that people would finally wise up and look at things objectively. But, here we are.
Wolf isn’t coming back in Smash for Wii U and 3DS.
We’ve teamed up with Con0rrr to make a video on this article so the information can reach the most amount of people. Please subscribe to him on YouTube, and follow him on Twitter! Click to read more to follow all of the sources, and the full evidence for Wolf’s exclusion in Smash for Wii U and 3DS.
Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta are the final three DLC characters in Smash for Wii U and 3DS. There has been multiple “hints” at this. Let’s review them.
- The “Final Smash Broadcast”. Immediately after the December Broadcast, the broadcast was labelled as the Final Smash Broadcast. This was initially done by Nintendo of UK, and then confirmed by every single showing of the broadcast.
- Sakurai has stated multiple times that DLC development is wrapping up. In the Fire Emblem 25th Anniversary Interview (which, was conducted around August 2015), in the Direct itself, and in Famitsu Column 496.
- Sakurai literally counted the number of characters in the direct. There are 58 characters in Smash for Wii U and 3DS. Which lines up perfectly with the roster that has been announced.
- Lucas was chosen as the “cut Brawl vet” representative. Veterans were included in the ballot, so Wolf did have a chance to come back, but Bayonetta was chosen.
- The last three characters were chosen based on their uniqueness. While Wolf is not a clone by any means,his fighting style wouldn’t be totally “unique”. Emphasis mine:This batch of DLC fighters took more work than the fighters in the base game, and they all have their own especially unique characteristics and playstyles. Knowing this is the final update, I put in as much effort as I could, so please enjoy! — Source
- Sakurai is NOT lying. This is harder to “prove” but Sakurai does not lie. He sometimes does a fake out but he does not lie. Mistranslations and fans taking things he said incorrectly have built up Sakurai to a troll. When he says “final” there is absolutely no reason to not believe him. This isn’t a fake out. I’m working on a post to see if Sakurai has lied in the past.
- In the Japanese direct, Sakurai introduced Bayonetta as “the last fighter”. Nintendo of America localized this as the “last newcomer”. Nintendo of Europe correctly translated this.
- Sakurai thanked everyone at the end of the Direct for their support of the game and waved goodbye.
Please send this article, or video to anyone who strongly believes that Wolf has a good chance of coming back. While it’s not impossible, it’s extremely unlikely (Let’s say 99.999999% likely that Wolf is not coming back).
We don’t hate Wolf, many of us at Source Gaming (myself included) would have loved to see him come back. However, it seems Wolf was just unlucky this time around. Subscribe to us on Twitter to stay up to date with all of the translations and research we conduct.
Mains: Yoshi (64), Game and Watch (Melee), Wario (Brawl), Wario/Pac-Man (Smash for 3DS/Wii U)