Today I decided to do something a bit different. I translated the webpage that lists all the references for the alts found in Smash 64. Some people have theories about certain alts, but this is an official source. Hopefully this will clear up some misinformation. The original page can be found here.
Personally, I love how Luigi is the only character that has the same pose, while everyone else has a team-oriented type picture. Also, the characters are organized by appearance, with secret characters at the end, if I’m not mistaken. Sakurai seems to really obsess over those details.
*Note: Gray colored text seem to be side comments from Sakurai himself. He’s most likely joking.
Lastly, I’m aware that the Kirby order is messed up. I kept the original order on the website.
The Secret of the Alts
On the character select screen if you press a C button, or if you are the same character [as another player], the character’s color will sometimes change to the color that is used in team battles (red, green and blue). There are cases where some of the character’s colors make use of various references.
- Red Hat: For player 1 and red team.
- Yellow Hat: For player 2 (Wario Color).
- Brown Hat: For player 3 (Foreman Spike from Wrecking Crew color).
- Blue Hat: For player 4 and blue team (Former Mario Color: Famicom Mario Brothers).
- Green Hat: Green Team.
- Brown fur: For player 1.
- Black fur: For player 2.
- Red fur: For player 3, and red team.
- Blue fur: For player 4, and blue team.
- Dark green fur: for green team.
- Green clothes: For player 1 and green team.
- Red clothes: For player 2 and red team (Goron Tunic: Legend of Zelda 64).
- Blue clothes: For player 3 and blue team (Zora Tunic: Legend of Zelda 64).
- Light purple clothes: 4th player (When equipping the blue ring: Legend of Zelda Famicom).
- Bitter orange armor: For player 1 and red team.
- Peach colored armor: For player 2 (Gravity Suit equipment from Super Metroid on the Super Famicom)
- Black armor: For player 3.
- Green armor: For player 4 and green team (Nicknamed mass production Samus)
- Blue armor: Blue team.
- Green Body: For player 1 and green team.
- Red body: For player 2, and red team.
- Blue team: For player 3, and blue team.
- Yellow: For player 4.
- Peach colored body: For enemies.
- Indigo body: For enemies.
- *All the colors you see here, appear in Yoshi’s Story.
- Peach colored body: For player 1.
- Yellow body: For player 2. (Nickname: Keeby: Kirby’s Dream Course).
- Blue body: For 3rd player and blue team (Ice Power: Super Famicom Kirby Super Star).
- Red body: For 4th player and red team (Fire power: Super Famicom Kirby Super Star).
- Green body: Green team (Nicknamed: kusa mochi Kirby).
- Ash colored jacket: For player 1.
- Red jacket: For player 2 and red team.
- Indigo Jacket: For player 3 and blue team.
- Green jacket: for player 4 and green team.
- No hat: for player 1.
- Red hat: For player 2 and red team.
- Blue hat: For player 3 and blue team.
- Green hat: for Player 4 and green team.
- Green hat: For player 1 and green team.
- White hat: For player 2 (Old Luigi Color: Mario Bros on the Famicom).
- Light Blue hat: For player 3 and blue team.
- Peach colored hat: For player 4 and red team (Nickname: Strawberry Luigi).
- Purple clothes: For 1 player.
- Ash colored clothes: For player 2 (Costume from F-Zero X commercial).
- Red clothing: 3rd player and red team (Blood Falcon Color from F-Zero X on N64).
- White clothing: 4 player color.
- Green clothing: Green team.
- Blue clothing: Blue team.
- Red hat: For player 1.
- Yellow hat: For player 2 (Popular name: Hanshin Tigers Fan).
- Blue hat: For player 3.
- Green hat: For player 4.
- No ribbon: For player 1.
- Red ribbon: For player 2.
- Blue ribbon: For player 3.
- Green ribbon: For player 4.
You can follow PushDustIn on Twitter, where he often retweets other people’s post about Metal Gear Solid V…even though he doesn’t own a PS4 himself.
Mains: Yoshi (64), Game and Watch (Melee), Wario (Brawl), Wario/Pac-Man (Smash for 3DS/Wii U)