I came up with this idea today. Discussing the reasons why certain characters can’t make it in as Smash DLC is a lot of work. On top of that it’s very repetitive. A lot of the same arguments are thrown out, so I figured I would streamline the discussions, by introducing the common reasons why characters can’t make it into Smash. The reasons are grouped together, to make searching for the right reason why the character you hate even easier to find! Each of these reasons is either something that is commonly said by the community, or something that Sakurai has said himself.
27 Reasons for Exclusion:
- The character is already in the game as a playable fighter.
- The character is already in the game as an assist trophy.
- The character is already in the game as a stage boss.
- The character can appear in the arena, in some other form (Final Smash, Enemy, Pokeball, etc).
Not a Special Snowflake:
- The character would fight too similar to a different character.
- The character has no defining / unique traits in general.
- The character’s most likely move-set wouldn’t work in Smash.
- The character has no, “fighting spirit”.
- The character is too erotic/ would need to be heavily censored.
- The character is known to be big, compared to other fighter(s).
- The character is known to be small, compared to other fighter(s).
- The character doesn’t work due to technical limitations.
- The character is generally unknown.
- The character is unknown in America.
- The character is unknown in Japan.
- The character is unknown in Europe.
- The character has been dropped from consideration in the past.
- The series has too many fighting characters already.
- The series is not popular enough to warrant (additional) representation.
- The character is not important within the game universe
- The creator of the character won’t allow their character in Smash.
- The character is not iconic enough.
3rd Party Issues
- The (third party) character has only one game.
- The (third party) company already has one character in the game.
- The character does not have a strong association with Nintendo.
- The character does not have a strong association with video games.
- It’s fucking Goku.
Here’s some examples (Again, points are debatable):
9-Volt: 13, 19
Cooking Mama: 19?
Chrom: 4, 5, 17, 17, 18
Coo (From Kirby): 13, 14, 16, 20, 22
Goku: 26, 27 x100000000000000000 as I’ve told you idiots before I’ll block you.
Kuma (My cat): 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 20, 22, 25, 26
Ridley: 3, 10, 17
Shovel Knight: 15, 22, 23, 25
Wonder Red: 22, 23 Nintendo owns the rights to W101, so never mind!
This isn’t to say that the characters have no chance of making it.
Here’s some examples using the Smash cast:
Lucina: 5, 17, 18, 22
R.O.B: 8, 13
Mains: Yoshi (64), Game and Watch (Melee), Wario (Brawl), Wario/Pac-Man (Smash for 3DS/Wii U)
Latest posts by PushDustIn (see all)
- Featured Comments - March 23, 2017
- SG Choice: Favorite Underappreciated Channel/Site - March 12, 2017
- Breath of the Wild: The Good and Bad [Discussion Video] - March 11, 2017